Hibiscus & Orange Kefir Immune-boost
The Hibiscus and Orange Kefir is a sparkling blend of hibiscus flowers, orange and spices, fermented with kefir crystals to enhance your microbiome. A healthy gut helps support your mental health, as well as your immune system – both of which can be compromised during periods of chronic stress.The immune-boosting benefits of the kefir are further intensified here by the antioxidants in the dried hibiscus flowers, a rich source of Vitamin C, while the cinnamon and cloves reduce fatigue, mental exhaustion, anxiety and stress.
- 20g kefir crystals
- 20g organic cane sugar
- 200ml filtered water
- 3 dried hibiscus flowers
- 1 clove
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 allspice berries
- Rind of half an orange
- Avoid using metal utensils; they could adversely affect the fragile kefir crystals. Dissolve the sugar into the water and gently add, with the crystals, into a clean jar. Cover with a paper towel, secure with string and put in a warm cupboard for 48-72 hours to allow the fermentation to take place.
- Taste at intervals (remember, no metal spoons!) and when the sweetness has reduced, filter the kefir water into a sterilised, sealable bottle or jar with the flowers and spices.
- Refill the jar of kefir crystals with another sugar solution and return both the jar and the bottle of spiced liquid to the cupboard.
- Release the gas from the flavoured water container once each day to avoid any explosions as the drink increases in effervescence.
- Once it has reached your preferred flavour, remove the flowers, rind and spices and place the drink in the fridge.
- As you continue to feed the kefir crystals with sugar water, they will multiply, allowing you to brew more and different kefir water flavours.
- Only use sugar water to feed your kefir crystals. Never introduce spices, fruit or other flavours to the crystals, as they can become contaminated and die off.
CNM recommends the use of organic ingredients. Recipe by Helene Anderson-Rosembert , Natural Chef graduate for the ICSA-accredited Natural Chef Diploma Courses at the College of Naturopathic Medicine (CNM)