Halloween Pumpkin Cupcakes
These mini pumpkin cupcakes, loaded with dried fruit, crunchy walnuts, fresh pumpkin and topped with a whipped coconut orange cream frosting make a perfect Halloween “treat” the whole family can enjoy.Prep Time25 minsCook Time18 minsTotal Time43 minsServings:10 people
For the cake mixture
- 6 tbsp of warm water
- 2 tbsp of ground flaxseed
- 1 cup of organic gluten free self-raising flour (or regular self-raising if tolerated)
- 1 tsp of gluten free baking powder
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ground ginger
- 80 g raw pumpkin or winter squash, finely grated
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of ground almonds
- 1/2 cup of coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 cup of almond milk
- 1/3 cup of crushed walnuts
- 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup of pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup of sultanas (unsulphured)
- 1/8 tsp of ground cloves
- the juice of half a medium orange
For the frosting
- 1 cup of chilled coconut cream
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup
- 1 tbsp of fresh orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan assisted. Line a cup cake tray with 10 cupcake cases.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the ground almonds, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. Stir well to combine.
- Add the flax to a small mixing bowl with the warm water and stir well. Set aside to gel, forming a flax ‘egg’.
- Cream the coconut oil and coconut sugar together in a separate mixing bowl. Add in the flax mixture and stir until smooth.
- Tip the wet ingredients into the dry mixture along with the grated pumpkin (or squash) and mix to combine.
- Add the walnuts, dates and sultanas and stir well to combine.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the cupcake cases. Transfer to the oven to bake for 18 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Whilst the cupcakes are baking, add the chilled coconut cream to a mixing bowl along with the maple syrup and orange juice. Whisk together for a minute or two until smooth and fluffy. Return to the fridge to chill until ready to use.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely then decorate with the coconut orange frosting to serve.
Notes: For vegetarian – coconut oil can be swapped directly for butter. 2 eggs can be used in place of flax ‘egg’. Allergens: nuts. CNM recommends the use of organic ingredients.Become A Nutritional Therapist